Skip to main content

Book review: Marple by 12 authors who I list in the Blog

 I just finished reading Marple which has 12 short mystery stories based on Agatha Christie's legendary sleuth, Jane Marple.  The mysteries and authors of each story are in the list below:

  • EVIL IN SMALL PLACES by Lucy Foley
  • THE SECOND MURDER AT THE VICARAGE by Val McDermid
  • MISS MARPLE TAKES MANHATTEN by Alyssa Cole
  •  THE UNRAVELLING by Natalie Haynes

  • MISS MARPLE’S CHRISTMAS by Ruth Ware
  • THE OPEN MIND by Naomi Alderman
  • THE JADE EMPRESS by Jean Kwok
  • A DEADLY WEDDING DAY by Dreda Say Mitchel
  • MURDER AT THE VILLA ROSA by Elly Griffiths
  • THE MURDERING SORT by Karen M. McManus
  • THE MYSTERY OF THE ACID SOIL by Kate Mosse
  • THE DISAPPEARANCE by Leigh Bardugo
I am going to give the book overall an 8-star read ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐out of 10 stars and the reason why is because some of the stories are just too confusing and have too many characters or too many things happening at once to understand what is really going on.  But on the other hand, some of the stories were one of the best mystery stories I have ever read!  Truly, however, nobody can replace the classic Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot mysteries- they still remain the best.  If you really enjoy twisters, pretty much every one of these stories has some sort of twist ending that you simply cannot believe and have to go back and re-read!  I got a shock at the end of each story pretty much, the murderer is always the least suspected murderer!  Although all of the stories were very creative and splendid, I do have a few favorites:
EVIL IN SMALL PLACES:  I really liked this story because of the setting of a small town which explains and proves that the evilest and most greedy people can be anywhere- even in small friendly towns.
THE JADE EXPRESS:  I enjoyed this particular story because the twist at the end was shocking and the last person I expected to be the murderer.
THE MURDERING SORT:  This was a great story just because again, the flow of the story and the ending.  It freaked me out a bit.
Well, that takes us to the end of my review, what book would you want me to read and review next?  Leave suggestions in the comments or message me on Pinterest @thebasiclifeofme. OR follow me on GoodReads to see what I am reading next @thebookworm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to start a Blog

Today I am going to be sharing tips for people that want to start a Blog.  Let's get going! 1. decide what platform you want to use to Blog: a few platforms for blogging are Blogger (the one I use), Squarespace, WordPress, and Wix. All links are posted at the bottom of the Blog for you to check out and review. 2. Writing:  One of my biggest tips for starting a blog is DO NOT WRITE AN INTRO BLOG.  Instead, write your first Blog about something you are interested in and want to tell other people about, or even just write a tutorial Blog.  Also, be patient- it may take weeks, months, or years for people to find you.  If you wish, you can also get a text editor such as Grammarly or Wordtune and I will link both editors at the bottom of the Blog. 3. Help people find your Blogs:  Make another social media account for you to share your Blogs on such as Twitter or Facebook.  This method helps- I use it all the time. 4. Comments:  If you would not like to ...

Book review: Two can keep a secret by Karen M. McManus

  I have waited so long for a chance to get my hands on this book as I have heard so many good reviews about it.  As soon as I heard about this book, I went to my library website to see if I could check it out, it turns out that about 7 other people had the same idea I did!  I was NOT going to wait about 7 weeks for that book so my original plan was to wait for the line out and request it when the book got a bit older, however, that was not needed because a friend happened to have a copy of Two can keep a secret and I borrowed it as soon as possible.  I am SO glad I read this book it is honestly one of the best mysteries I have ever read (along with Agatha Christie mysteries).  However, I am giving it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐out of 5 stars because the first few chapters were VERY slow let me tell you I was actually regretting getting this book but I powered through the lameness, and once you get to about chapter 5 things start to fall into place and get interesting (trust me!)....

Book review: Crying in h mart by Michelle Zauner

Crying in h mart by Michelle Zauner is a heartbreaking but fascinating memoir in which she writes about the connection between her and her mother, her youth, and the power of food and cooking. In the memoir, Zauner recalls treasured memories of her youth and describes her life in her childhood as a Korean American and now as an adult.  She also brings Korean dishes to life and describes the taste and smell of each and every one of the childhood Korean dishes she enjoyed and now making them as an adult to remember her mother who passed away due to cancer reasons.  Crying in h mart was one of the saddest memoirs I have ever read but in the memoir, you see what it is like growing up with a Korean mother and a Caucasian father and you discover traditional Korean dishes. I feel like you would understand the author's situation better if you were in her situation before or went through a similar situation as she did.  This book has funny and joyful family gatherings, grieving or...