Skip to main content

Book review: One of us is lying by Karen M. McManus

 This book has been on my GoodReads "want to read" list for a while so it was both satisfying to finally get it off my list but it was also a very thrilling and twisting mystery novel.  In this book, each character has their own section which I found kind of neat to see each of the perspectives of the characters and how different their personalities and lives are.  I would recommend this book for young adults 13 and up as it does have some coarse language and some mature circumstances and scenes.  The main characters in the book are Bronwyn who is an intelligent girl who comes from a family of Yale graduates, Cooper who is an all-star baseball player, Addy who is known at Bayview high as being popular and beautiful, Nate who is already on Probation for dealing drugs, and Simon who is the creator of the gossip app About That.  The five of them end up in detention and by the end of detention, Simon is dead.  This book made me feel a lot of emotions at one point I felt bad for a character and then I felt worse for another character.  If you are a mystery fan, I highly recommend you read One of us is lying and I also would like to read the sequel as soon as I can get it.

COMMENT:  If you read this book, who is your favorite character?

Get one of us is lying at Indigo: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/one-of-us-is-lying/9781524714680-item.html?ikwid=one+of+us+is+lying&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0#algoliaQueryId=a3774b8061c6f4e5db6afd9f7305f532                                              One of us is lying on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/One-Us-Lying-Bayview-High/dp/1524714755/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7QXG6X1OH8J1&keywords=one+of+us+is+lying&qid=1679174830&sprefix=one+of+us%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-1                                      About the author: https://www.karenmcmanus.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to start a Blog

Today I am going to be sharing tips for people that want to start a Blog.  Let's get going! 1. decide what platform you want to use to Blog: a few platforms for blogging are Blogger (the one I use), Squarespace, WordPress, and Wix. All links are posted at the bottom of the Blog for you to check out and review. 2. Writing:  One of my biggest tips for starting a blog is DO NOT WRITE AN INTRO BLOG.  Instead, write your first Blog about something you are interested in and want to tell other people about, or even just write a tutorial Blog.  Also, be patient- it may take weeks, months, or years for people to find you.  If you wish, you can also get a text editor such as Grammarly or Wordtune and I will link both editors at the bottom of the Blog. 3. Help people find your Blogs:  Make another social media account for you to share your Blogs on such as Twitter or Facebook.  This method helps- I use it all the time. 4. Comments:  If you would not like to ...

Book review: Two can keep a secret by Karen M. McManus

  I have waited so long for a chance to get my hands on this book as I have heard so many good reviews about it.  As soon as I heard about this book, I went to my library website to see if I could check it out, it turns out that about 7 other people had the same idea I did!  I was NOT going to wait about 7 weeks for that book so my original plan was to wait for the line out and request it when the book got a bit older, however, that was not needed because a friend happened to have a copy of Two can keep a secret and I borrowed it as soon as possible.  I am SO glad I read this book it is honestly one of the best mysteries I have ever read (along with Agatha Christie mysteries).  However, I am giving it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐out of 5 stars because the first few chapters were VERY slow let me tell you I was actually regretting getting this book but I powered through the lameness, and once you get to about chapter 5 things start to fall into place and get interesting (trust me!)....

Book review: Crying in h mart by Michelle Zauner

Crying in h mart by Michelle Zauner is a heartbreaking but fascinating memoir in which she writes about the connection between her and her mother, her youth, and the power of food and cooking. In the memoir, Zauner recalls treasured memories of her youth and describes her life in her childhood as a Korean American and now as an adult.  She also brings Korean dishes to life and describes the taste and smell of each and every one of the childhood Korean dishes she enjoyed and now making them as an adult to remember her mother who passed away due to cancer reasons.  Crying in h mart was one of the saddest memoirs I have ever read but in the memoir, you see what it is like growing up with a Korean mother and a Caucasian father and you discover traditional Korean dishes. I feel like you would understand the author's situation better if you were in her situation before or went through a similar situation as she did.  This book has funny and joyful family gatherings, grieving or...